GDP Study Club
This seminar based study club explores various aspects of geriatric dentistry
from the perspective of education, research, and service. Geriatrics from
physiological, psychological, and social changes with age will be explored
with respect to providing dental care. This multidisciplinary study club
is open to dentists, dental specialists, dental hygienists, certified dental
assistants, and other health care professionals interested in geriatrics.
Each 2-hour session will be broken down into a formal presentation and presentations
from the members. Participants will be encouraged to present interesting
cases, issues and techniques in providing care for older adults, or published
papers for discussion with the group.
- “Dental Caries in Chronically Disabled Elders”,
British Columbia Society of Prosthodontists, October 3, 1997.
- “Tooth Loss and Older Adults”, Faculty Forum
Seminars, Faculty of Dentistry, University of British Columbia,
- “Geriatric Oral Health Promotional Activity in British
The Canadian Association of Public Health Dentistry, CDA Conference,
Vancouver, March 12, 2000.
- Association of Dental Surgeons of
British Columbia, Residential Oral Care – a
Challenge for the new millennium. Conference Coordinator & Speaker,
Kelowna April 15th, 2000. Vancouver April 29th, 2000.
- “Geriatric Oral Health in British Columbia”, Langley Dental
Hygiene Study Club, Vancouver, November 15th, 2000.
- “Successfully Managing Oral Care for Older Adults”, UBC
Continuing Education, Vancouver, Dec 2nd, 2000.
- “Oral Health Care for persons in residential care” Taipei
City, Long Term Care and Geriatric Service Study Tour Program.
BC Health Industry
Development Office. February 11th, 2002.
- Elderly Long Term Care
Residents – a population in need
of dental care. Pacific Dental Conference, February 22nd, 2002
- “Mouth Care for LTC Residents” – Coquitlam Periodontal
Study Club, March 5th, 2003.
- “Dental Geriatrics and Long Term Care” – An Afternoon
Workshop, UBC Faculty of Dentistry, April 23rd, 2003
- “Clinical Outcomes from the Geriatric Dentistry Program” – Pacific
Dental Conference, March 5th, 2004
- “Dentistry for the Older Adult”. Victoria & District
Dental Society, October 15th, 2004
- “A Comprehensive LTC Dental Program”, Fraser Valley Gerontological
Nurse Group of BC, November 25th, 2004
- “Oral Health in LTC Facilities”, UBC Faculty of Dentistry,
ELDERS group, June 27th 2005.
- “Dental Hygiene in Residential Care” UBC Continuing Dental
Education, Fall Thursday Evening Lecture Series for Registered Dental
Hygienists, Vancouver, September 29th, 2005.
- “Cariology: Management of the Geriatric Population” BC
Cancer Agency, Provincial Program in Oral Oncology, November
- “Dentistry for the Older Adult in Long Term Care” Certified
Dental Assistants of British Columbia continuing Dental Education, April
- “Healthy Smiles – Treatment and Prevention of Oral
Vincent’s & Holy Family Health Foundation seminar for
general public sponsored by London Drugs. Vancouver, May 3rd,
If you are interested in joining the
service please contact